Networking Router with Windows 2000

Gary Wood 21:55 01 Sep 05

I work for a charity and we have an office within a larger organisation. That organisation provided us with a single IP address to connect a computer to the internet via their network and an account on their Novell network so that we can store files.

We needed to add some additional computers, so I purchased an ethernet router. I've set this router to use a static IP address and DNS settings etc, giving it the addresses which our original computer was using.

The additional computers are then connected to this router and are now set to pick up IP addresses via DHCP.

This works for two of the additional computers which are running Windows XP - both of them can log on to the network via the Novell client and access the internet, even though the machines themselves have internal IP addresses rather than ones within the range of the main host organisation's network.

However, I am having problems connecting a Windows 2000 machine. I've installed the Novell client and configured it as I have the XP machines and have made sure that the computer is picking up an IP address via DHCP. It works insofar as I can access the internet, but I can't log on to the network with Novell - it says it can't find the network tree.

If I connect the computer directly in to the host network (bypassing the router) and give it the router's IP address then it works OK, which suggests to me that the Novell settings I've entered are correct.

Can anyone help? I spoke to the router manufacturer's technical helpline and they suggested that it was a configuration issue within Windows 2000?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Gary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…