networking questions

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 09:47 31 Aug 04

i have an ADSL modem router usb/ethernet(not in use at the mo).click here this my modem and router.and i wan't to sign up to tiscali broadband 512k.can somebosy answer the following questions?.1)can i use tiscali BB with this modem?2)can i share the internet connection me using usb and my family using ethernet.3)can i use a crossover cable to share the connection.4)is it easy to set up?5)is tiscali ADSL?.thanks alot everyone anyone?.ben

spanneress 10:01 31 Aug 04

To the best of my knowledge you can use whichever modem you wish with which ever ISP you wish..apart from if you are using NTL. You can connect your PC to the modem using USB and your family using Ethernet. You won't need crossover cable to share the connection as the router function will alllow all PC's connected to it to access the net.

Although reading the spec iot states that only 2 PC's can share the internet connection at any one time.

It should be a breeze to set up..pop the CD in and follow the wizard instrcutions.

If you have not already purchased it I would strongly recommend a wireless set up if you have many PC's in varuious locations in the house.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 10:24 31 Aug 04

thankyou spanneress when i said can i use crossover cable to share it i ment i have a 20M crossover and i don't wan't to buy a patch cable!.yes i have bought it already but i can connect a wirless access point to it can't i?.all my other computers have WLAN and LAN ill upgrade!.thanks.ben

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…