Networking Question

steveooo 10:14 07 Dec 04

I have recetly added a third computer to my household, and now have 3 computers in total can someone tell me how i network these computers together..

My computer is in my Bedroom and connects to the broadband connection...

Just woondering what equipment i need to network them together.. can anyone help ???

balcarras 10:24 07 Dec 04

you have many options....

one could be to:

1. Install 10/100 network cards in each pc.
2. Purchase a mini 4 or 5 port switch.
3. Share your broadband connection on your pc to which it is connected.
4. Cable all your pc's to the switch.
5. Follow the Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) instructions you can find all over the web - just do a search on google.

If you don't want cables everywhere, then you will have to look at a wireless solution. Then you need to consider replacing your existing broadband modem with a combined switch/router/modem device.

Hope that helps a little.

steveooo 10:32 07 Dec 04

so i wire each pc the the switch,, but what cables do i use, and where is the best place to put the switch to save on wires..

stylehurst 10:43 07 Dec 04

I would suggest you get a router, connect your modem to the router. That way you can access the net from any machine without having to have the Internet connected machine always on.
Dependant on the location of your other machines you can either use wired connections between the router & the other machines, or wireless (more expensive)
If you are going down the wired route you need CAT cables & a NIC card in each machine.

balcarras 10:44 07 Dec 04

yes...all pc's are wired to the switch - think of it as the centre of a spiders web. You use CAT5e cable. I guess to save on cable you put the switch between the two closest pcs!! But it will depend on the layout of your house - you might not want cables in certain places!!

steveooo 10:51 07 Dec 04

how does it work then because i have a internal pci adsl modem how can i connect that to the router and so on,, tell me more ???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…