Networking Question

expertec 09:11 24 Oct 03

Will there be any problems networking a Window$ ME PC on FAT32 with a Window$ NT4 pc on NTFS?

Chegs ® 09:22 24 Oct 03

Yes,as FAT32 machines cannot "see" NTFS filesystems

expertec 09:41 24 Oct 03

If i upgrade the NT machine to Windows 2000 on FAT32 will it work then?

Chegs ® 10:07 24 Oct 03

It will work with FAT32+NTFS(mine already does as I have XP on both)but it "can" be tricky to setup,so if you wish to set it up with least hassle then use FAT32 on both machines.

Ivor_Monkey 12:28 24 Oct 03

I'm confused. I thought that FAT32 couldn't see files on NTFS on the same machine, but (like magic) they could see NTFS files on other machines. Well at least that's what I thought my 2 machines were doing.

Am I missing something?

Jean-Luc Picard 13:38 24 Oct 03

No your not wrong. I have in thepast networked and shared resources betwen a windows 98 system using FAT 32 and an XP system using NTFS.

expertec 16:46 25 Oct 03

XP can read NTFS & FAT32, but Windows ME can't read NTFS and NT 4.0 can't read FAT32?

Would window$ NT be able to network to the printer connected to the USB on the windows ME computer?

And also, does windows 2000 have a built in defrag tool?

spikeychris 16:58 25 Oct 03

The file system, NTFS or FAT32 is transparent across the network. There is
no problem accessing files from a computer with the OS running an NTFS
file system from a computer with a FAT32 file system.

whilst WinME cannot see a ntfs
partition directly it can access files on a ntfs drive or
partition over a network unless permissions are set up on
the NT4 machine to not allow access.

expertec 17:27 25 Oct 03

thanks spikeychris, that explains a lot :-)

Ivor_Monkey 18:54 25 Oct 03

...as I said. Just like magic.

A_World_Maker 19:27 25 Oct 03

Windows 2000 does have a defrag programme, its a cut down version of Disckeeper (although I prefer the real version as its faster), it is accessed by right hand clicking the drive in My Computer, select Tools, and you will see it at the bottom of the panel. Hope you like lots of coffee while you are waiting :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…