networking problems between XPHome, 98 and 98SE

rjans 14:55 21 Sep 03

I have connected 3 pc's to a (Dutch) adsl broadband router/hub/switch. one runs XPhome the other two win98 and win98se. Filesharing activated. All pc's have ZoneAlarm active with trusted ip ranges etc. All pc's have access to the internet & mail without problems. Both 98 pc can see each other in networkneighborhood. The XP pc however is not visible. The XP machine shows the correct workgroup but no computer names are visible (also missing is its own name).
A ping on ip adress between XP and the 98 pc's and vice versa works without any problem.
A ping on computername between the 98 pc's works.
A ping on \\computername from the XP machine to one of the other does not work (cannot find host). A ping on its own name works fine.

It seems that the culprit is XP but I am lost, who can help please ?

p.s. XP is logged on in administrator mode, all computernames are unique, workgroup name on all computer is identical. TCP/IP correctly installed

Ronald

recap 15:08 21 Sep 03

Try changing the network cable on the XP machine it may be faulty.

rjans 16:12 21 Sep 03

During problem fact finding I have changed the network cable which did not solve the problem

A15 17:39 21 Sep 03

Have you made sure that both the XP & 98 machines have the same networking services installed i.e. TCP/IP Etc. Once when I networked an XP & 98 machine I had to install Netbios & IPX/SPX then give the machines a few minutes to "see" each other.

You could also try giving each machine an identical password, this is also a problem I have had in the past. Could not get my network machines to "see" each other until I had given all machines the same password. Weird!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…