networking problems after reinstalling Windows XP

hockeystar1985 18:00 11 Dec 05

I had a virus on PC which I couldn't get rid of so decided the best course of action would be to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP.

As far as i know I've reinstalled the OS correctly following all the instructions but now I can connect my PC to my home network. I have 2 other PC's connected to a router on the network.

When I use the network setup wizard it says that the setup of my local network connection is complete, but 'My Network Places' doesn't appear in the Start menu and the only connection I have is the standard 1394.

I've tried everything I can think of, any ideas????

Diodorus Siculus 18:41 11 Dec 05

Go to add / remove programs

see if there is the windows networking component there

hockeystar1985 13:27 12 Dec 05

all of the networking components are installed, but it sill won't create a connection.

Newuser4165 13:57 12 Dec 05

Have you remembered to turn the Windows firewall off?

mgmcc 14:03 12 Dec 05

If the only connection in the Network Connections folder is the 1394 adapter (Firewire), then your network adapter hasn't been reinstalled following the formatting of your hard drive and reinstallation of Windows.

Depending on whether the network adapter is "wired" or "wireless", there should be an entry for Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection.

Devil Fish 14:36 12 Dec 05

have you reinstalled the drivers for your network adaptor

hockeystar1985 20:27 12 Dec 05

I found a driver, installed that and hey presto I'm back on my home network!!

Thanks for the advice!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…