NETWORKING PROBLEMS

alt 14:55 30 Apr 03

Hi I have just networked my two comps. the host is using xp home and the client 98se. Everything was perfect for a few days but now when we go to the client computer to access the host in Neiborhood network the host isn't listed and we cant access it. Can anyone help please....

scotty 15:11 30 Apr 03

In Explorer, use the Search tool to search for the computer. Sometimes, Win 98 is slow to recognise computers on the network. If search locates your host it should then appear in Network Neighbourhood.

alt 18:15 30 Apr 03

scotty, how do I do this?...by typing in the computers name?.....

alt 18:28 30 Apr 03

Hi, Scotty....I have just done this and the search facility on the 98 machine has found the host computer but it is still not listed in network neiborhood so I cant access the files on the host.

John-259217 20:20 30 Apr 03

Networking!
More fun than a trip to the dentist ;-) lol

OK, in the address bar of Explorer type the full path of the file you want in this form

\\COMPUTERNAME\MyDocs

change COMPUTERNAME to the name of your XP machine and MyDocs to the folder name you want access to.

As to why its not appearing in Network Neighbourhood, have you changed anything on the client, such as adding a firewall? If not what does it show when you click entire network?
As Scotty says, it sometimes takes a while for other PC`s to appear.

scotty 10:08 01 May 03

I note you have ticked as resolved so I guess it is OK now. Re the point about the host showing in Network Neighbourhood, you may need to refresh the data (press F5) for the host to show.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…