Networking problems

Muzz_former_aol_employee 12:40 21 Jan 05

Trying to network 2 Windows XP pc's. Both have onboard network cards. Lights do not show when plugging network cable in. Windows detects and installed both network cards. Have tried 4 different cables, and plugging in another network card on both pcs with same results. ASUS motherboards.

*Silver*Hawk* 12:42 21 Jan 05

You need a crossover cable if you are thinking of connecting two pcs together. or instead you can get a router in with patch cable will do fine.

ACOLYTE 12:44 21 Jan 05

Are you using crossover cables or sraight through cables?i dont know what your light look like on my onboard one the socket flashes around the cable one my other one the Link light underneath comes on when a cable is plugged in.

fitcher 13:01 21 Jan 05

flashes usualy it means they are active

Muzz_former_aol_employee 13:24 21 Jan 05

Cables are not an issue, Windows detects network cards.

recap 14:09 21 Jan 05

Remove the Network card from your system, do a hard re-boot. When the system is starting up it should detect the card and reinstal it. You may need the disc at hand for the drivers.

vinnyo123 14:38 21 Jan 05

I suggest you do what recap has said above first.
(update drives)

You also mentioned you tried another NIC. I am assuming you put it in a PCI slot. Did you try to disable the onboard card via BIOS when you tried second card?

Can you ping 127.0.0.1 on cards(loopback test for TCP/IP stack)might be currupt.

Try to manually configure link speed/duplex mode of card's through devise manager NIC properties? example 100mbps full duplex etc.

There might be other problems to troubleshoot but tries these first and post back.
hope this helps!

^wave^ 17:25 21 Jan 05

are saying that each pc see its own network card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…