Networking Problems

startup 17:52 16 Nov 04

Can anyone give me a few words of guidance on the subject of home networking. (What a mine field).
I rebuilt my computer with a new motherboard that has a network port and so bought from PC World at the same time, a LAN card to put into my older system. They told me that was all I needed to link the two systems I then had to get a crossover cable from the local computer shop who also assured me that I should now be able to link the two systems.
Both computers work fine except that I cannot get them to see each other at all. I have read through the "home networking" help pages and gone through a number of books I have on the subject. Both systems are running Win Me and I have used the network wizard on both.
When I click on "My Network Places" I can only see the discs and doc folders on that computer.
Most of the info I have, suggests that I should use a swith/router between the two systems but I am reluctant to shell out more pennies if this is not needed. Have I missed something obvious or is there likely to be a fault somewhere?
I have uninstalled both my anti virus an Zone Alarm programs temporarily in case they were the cause of the prob, and spent all day yesterday going through the help pages in the forum without success. (Is there anyway to ensure that a crossover cable is "a crossover cable"?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…