//some 3rd party need geo

networking problems?

Daxsimus 21:02 21 Oct 04

Hi, Have connected 2 pc's running xp home with straight through cables and a hub. Connected to BB via usb modem connected to host pc. I can share files, but I cannot get the other pc to connect to the internet.
Please has anyone got any ideas what I am doing wrong.
Thanks in afvance for any advise.
Dax

mgmcc 21:14 21 Oct 04

Have you enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" on the internet connection in the 'host' PC, which will automatically configure its Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0?

To do this, right click the connection's icon in the Network Connections folder, select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box "Allow other network users...etc".

The 'client' PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get IP and DNS addresses automatically.

Daxsimus 21:27 21 Oct 04

Yes just checked they are set to what you said but still wont connect. Anymore ideas? Thanks
Dax

easyrider 21:44 21 Oct 04

Just a thought what firewall are you using on host computer?

Daxsimus 21:47 21 Oct 04

I have zonealarm but i've disabled it.

easyrider 21:49 21 Oct 04

Even with it disabled you cannot get a connection. Strange XP firewall is not enabled is it.

easyrider 21:54 21 Oct 04

Just a thought as it is a peer to peer network try this. Go into control panel , add/remove programs , add remove window components scroll down to networking services click on details tick peer to peer check box and apply.

Daxsimus 22:01 21 Oct 04

Thanks you gave me an idea I disabled norton internet security and it's up and running!!! One problem it wont connect if I enable zonealarm. Do I need it?

easyrider 22:04 21 Oct 04

It is not advisable to be with out a firewall. Enable Zonealaram and put second computer in trusted zone. Sorry but have to go now up at 0430 tomorrow will check back after work tomorrow hope all goes well.

easyrider 22:06 21 Oct 04

Sorry that should be your network in trusted zone. Will check tomorrow to see if everything is all right.

Daxsimus 22:10 21 Oct 04

Thanks for all your help. My son will be very happy in the morning and so am I.
Regards
Dax.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…