NETWORKING PROBLEMS

Bertie B 13:21 19 Jan 04

Perhaps it's better to start a new subjesct as the old one is now so long-winded!

NETWORK PROBLEMS
I originally posted this up back in December as my simple 2 PC Network via crossover cable became slow and unstable when the existing 3M Belkin cable was changed for a longer one of the same make and type. Put the old cable back on and everthing was OK!! That problem was never resolved - I just put up with having the PCs closer together than I would like as trying any number of longer cables resulted in the same problem. HOWEVER, over the past weeks, despite continuing to use the orig 3M cable which has worked OK, the network has developed the same sort of slow/not responding/unstable conditions - now all of the time!!!??? I have not changed any of the settings but something is going on!?
The network settings for my XP PC are as follows:- Connecting via NETGEAR FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER FA311 USING - Client for Microsoft Networking File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

For my Windows 98SE PC they are as follows:- Client for Microsoft Networks Dial-Up Adapter NETGEAR FA311/FA312 PCI Adapter TCP/IP -> Dial-Up adapter TCP/IP -> NETGEAR FA311/FA312 PCI Adapter File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

The XP PC connects directly to the Internet via an ADSL Modem and when the LAN is enabled the Win 98 PC can access the internet OK at a reasonable speed [same as before] but the poor performance is relative to sharing/saving files between the two PCs.

Anyone got any suggestions, please, cos it's driving me nuts?!!

johnnyrocker 18:55 19 Jan 04

click here for possibly the best advice on networking etc or click here

johnny.

Ranger3 22:28 19 Jan 04

I don't really have much of a clue, but the pci cards are presumably 10/100 Mbps. Suppose its possible that they have defaulted to the slower transfer rate for some reason, ie 10 Mbps...perhaps when you had a problem with that other cable the network switched to the slower speed to limit errors, and it hasn't switched back.

Just a thought.

Chegs ® 22:32 19 Jan 04

There is a registry hack to speedup networks in XP,I was reading thru this thread earlier,and was going to suggest it then,but its only for XP and you have 98se too.I cannot retrieve my posting in PCA on howto,as my problem occured at least 18mths ago,and it went when PCA cleaned up the postings,but someone is bound to be able to point you in the right direction.Found the page myself,here you go.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…