networking problem again

InZaNE_mOdS 16:26 07 Dec 03

Hi i am grateful to say my network works very well and sharing files too. Now my problem is can i share a cd drive. as i tried and it said it is not accessible from the other machine. Also remote desktop connection doesnt work. can someone tell me how to make it work?

LastChip 18:02 07 Dec 03

You should be able to share a cd drive. Right click the drive and select the sharing preferences.

Which operating system are you referring to?

InZaNE_mOdS 18:41 07 Dec 03

xp pro. thats what i did. it says not accessible. so i didnt know.

LastChip 18:52 07 Dec 03

Did you do this in the logged in as Administrator?

It sounds like the program is refusing you "admin" privileges.

InZaNE_mOdS 18:56 07 Dec 03

well i am an admin on both machines. although one machine i am the true admin on the xp, i.e. i sign in as administrator. and on the other machine which cant access it i only made a new account called admin. how can i make it viewable by others then. I can access the drive over the network fine on the one it is physically attached to.

InZaNE_mOdS 18:56 07 Dec 03

well i am an admin on both machines. although one machine i am the true admin on the xp, i.e. i sign in as administrator. and on the other machine which cant access it i only made a new account as admin. how can i make it viewable by others then. I can access the drive over the network fine on the one it is physically attached to.

InZaNE_mOdS 18:59 07 Dec 03

oops sorry about extra post. ignore top one, the bottom is the correct one.

LastChip 19:11 07 Dec 03

Do you have XP on both machines? (Home or Pro?)

If not, can you please confirm from which machine you cannot access the drive.

InZaNE_mOdS 19:54 07 Dec 03

i have both on pro

LastChip 20:09 07 Dec 03

I'm a bit puzzled about this, as XP should have automatically set this account up on installation.

Did you grant yourself full access privileges?

If not, you need to include that account within the administrators group.

If you open Control Panel; Administration; Computer management; and look at the security settings relating to users and groups, you may be able to see why you cannot access the drive. Also, take a look at the "Event" log, which may also shed some more light on your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…