networking problem

spud10 22:34 28 Nov 06

I am having a problem connecting my router using the network connection on my Dell Dimension 8300 using a ethernet cable.
I get the following error message in the device manger
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).
The following driver is present under the driver tab in the device manager Intel ® Pro/100ve network connection.
Is my motherboard damaged or do I need to reinstall windows.

AndySD 22:42 28 Nov 06

What is the Make/Model of the motherboard as there may be updated drivers on the manufacturers website.

spud10 22:58 28 Nov 06

The board is manufactured by dell and the model no. is 0W2562

AndySD 23:19 28 Nov 06

click here Dell support but it looks like there is a problem with this chipset unless you are using service pack 2

spud10 23:30 28 Nov 06

I have service pack 2 installed and all windows updates

AndySD 00:07 29 Nov 06

Ok then its a driver problem. If the Driver is not on the dell site try this one. click here

spud10 22:20 29 Nov 06

I downloaded and installed the driver and I got a message telling me that the driver had been installed and then restarted my PC. When the pc restarted the problem still remained. I selected update driver and installed it again and then I got the following error messages unable to start GUID and unable to recognise adapter even when driver is installed.

skidzy 22:40 29 Nov 06

can you check in My Computer and see if your cd/dvd drive is listed,also try a cd/dvd..do they work ?

Reason why is Code 31 is normally associated with the removal of cd/dvd burning software and requires the upper and lower filters to be deleted from the registry.

spud10 22:06 30 Nov 06

Both dvd, dvdrw drives are listed in My Computer but I cannot get them to autorun any cd or dvd that I have put into them. They are both set up to autorun when a disk is inserted. I had sonic record now on my pc but uninstalled it and installed nero which came bundled with my new dvd writer

skidzy 22:14 30 Nov 06

Try this repair first click here

If no joy:

You may like to follow this procedure.

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic etc.

Try the below link first,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

If in any doubt,please create a System Restore point first.

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

spud10 23:16 30 Nov 06

Tried the programs but no joy, I also edited the registry as you described and deleted the entries for Upper/Lower filters but still no joy. I also have to reload the driver for my graphics card everytime I boot up or else a generic windows driver is used that is the reason I think the problem maybe with the mother board. If I replace the socket 478 board will this effect the windows installation ie new board fitted and can you still get socket 478 boards now.
Thanks for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…