Networking problem

Hrosir 21:51 04 Mar 05

I have two laptops which I use. At the moment I have one of these networked using a Belkin WAP. My problem is that I cannot get the second machine to access the network. If I reset the WAP by turning it off I can get only one working at once. I have tried using the Ipconfig utility to renew but to no avail. The network card shows a strong connection and that packets are being sent but I am unable to renew the IP address.
The WAP is connected to a Linksys Router

SEASHANTY 22:45 04 Mar 05

Don't use a wireless router. You could check out the Linksys knowledge base for any info on your problem
click here

Hrosir 23:08 04 Mar 05

The laptop that is presently connected runs fine through the WAP. Connection was virtually automatic and I simply renewed the IP addresss through the Ipconfig utility
The second laptop uses the same Belkin card but refuses to renew the IP address just timing out. As I said, the signal is strong and the Network was detected but unable to get the address. I use the router to connect to the two main desktops with the cable supplying the WAP signal

FelixTCat 23:13 04 Mar 05

First, disable encryption and MAC filtering and enable SSID transmission in the router.

Set the router to act as a DHCP server and each laptop to get an IP address automatically. IPconfig will then tell you whether they are both getting an ip address.

Next, check your firewalls to ensure that they are not blocking access to each other.

Set file and printer sharing in both pcs and set at least one file, folder or drive to be shared.

Once you have established the network, then you can reintroduce security.

FelixTCat 23:15 04 Mar 05

Oh, I forgot. Make sure that both pcs have the same workgroup name but different computer names

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…