Networking problem

Drazpaz 10:27 31 May 04

I have networked my laptop and pc together but I am having a problem with sharing. I can get into the shared folders on my laptop by going into workgroup computers on Mshome. But when I click on my desktop computer in the workgroup computer folder it says that my computer is not accessible on the network, and that I may not have permission to enter.

How do I fix it?

Thanks

BEVERLEY-256334 11:02 31 May 04

I find that to access shared folders I need to disable firewall on the pc I am tring to access

mansbrkm 19:40 31 May 04

you need to activate file sharing on both computers on older systems 98 etc right click on network neighbourhood, properties, select tcp/ip fo correct ethernet card/nic, and tick the box for file and printer sharing in xp view network connections etc.
The fire wal does not need to be disabled but set up for the local network to be allowed. With Norton select personal fire wall and configure then networking and use the wizzard or enter your network range in manually.

Taran 19:58 31 May 04

Depending on your version of Windows this could simply be a permissions issue between user accounts.

Windows XP Administrator accounts have different permissions to the Limited user accounts and you often need to input an admin username and password that is valid for the machine you are trying to access the network share on.

BEVERLEY-256334 21:17 31 May 04

Thanks mansbrkm I have sorted one pc out with norton but still unable to access pc with xp firewall

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…