Networking problem

ProfessorX 00:37 22 Nov 03

Just finished networking 2pc.One run with WinXP & another with Win98.Using Network setup wizard in WinXP,everything working fine.But problem is, my PC run with WinXP can 'look' whatever share folder in the PC with Win98, but PC run with Win98 can't 'see' anything in PC run with WinXP.& in Network Neighbourhood icon, i can't see any icon for the pc run with WinXP.Go thru HELP in Win98 regarding networking,& try all the steps but still can't solve this. pls help, thanks.

I am a bit out of my teritory here but hopefully one of the Windows experts will clarify the answer if I pose the following question.

Can a Win98 PC on a network read files on an NTFS partition on the WinXP PC?

old-timer 13:32 22 Nov 03

ProfessorX

Have you run the network setup on the 98 machine, using a disk created from the setup on the XP machine.

I have just set up my laptop with Win98 and put it in the network.

It can see all of the shared files on my desktop with the exception of those files within the NTFS partition that contains XP.

With the exception of the XP partition all of the other partitions are formatted with Fat32.

Sorry but i would suggest that this is the root cause of your problem?

Ivor_Monkey 16:47 22 Nov 03

It sounds like you need to disable the firewall that comes within XP. Look for ICF. Make sure you are not blocking with othr firewalls.

spikeychris 18:54 22 Nov 03

Whisperer, the file system, NTFS or FAT32 is transparent across the network. There is no problem accessing files from a computer with the OS running an NTFS file system from a computer with a FAT32 file system.
whilst Win98 cannot see a ntfs partition directly it can access files on a ntfs drive or partition over a network unless permissions are set up on the XP machine to not allow access.

PX click here for a KB

Thanks Spikey,
I have just reinstalled 98 following a crash and now I have no problems seeing all shared folders - I told you that it was not my area of expertise!

ProfessorX 23:54 22 Nov 03

I used the network setup wizard from winxp to setup on pc run with win98.PC with WinXP is the server while PC with win98 is the client.I tried to disable firewall in PC with winXP but the pc with win98 still can't see anything.I can access internet in the PC run with Win98 after i setup internet sharing in PC run with WinXP.Is it i need to setup/install microsoft network in pc run with Win98?

BBez 00:05 23 Nov 03

may be a NETBIOS problem with 98 as i think (but can't confirm offhand) that XP doesn't support NETBIOS. Disable it in 98 then re-run the XP Netwiork Setup Disk...

jolorna 00:34 23 Nov 03

when you made your network floppy with xp did you run it in the 98 and also run it again in your xp

ProfessorX 01:17 23 Nov 03

I run directly the netword setup wizard in the PC with WinXP, after that, i copy in a floppy disk, & run it in Win98. Everything is working fine & same as in WinXP.The only problem i hv now is PC run in Win98 can't 'see' PC run with WinXp in this networking

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…