networking problem

persephone 08:28 02 Nov 03

i have recently connected our 2 home pc's via network cards and both systems are set up with XP. The problem i have is that the Main pc which the system runs off cannot read the other pc i keep getting a contact adminstrator message but the other pc can read the main one no problem,and can access the internet. All the files and folders that i want to share are enabled on both pcs The main pc knows that the other pc is there but cannot gain access! can anyone please advise

recap 15:28 02 Nov 03

Have you named the computers differently?

Is the workgroup name the same?

Check your TCP/IP settings and the Subnetmask.

Can you ping each computer and get a positive result?

Ivor_Monkey 16:50 02 Nov 03

make sure that the firewall (ICF) that exists within XP is not stopping you.

keith-236785 18:46 02 Nov 03

goto control panel/network connections.

right click the network connection (the one between the two pcs), choose properties.

in the main panel, you will probably have three or four items, underneath are three buttons (install, uninstall & properties)

click install.

in the next box that opens, choose protocol and click Add

look for IPX/SPX NetBIOS compatible transport protocol.

install and your network should then work OK (mine did after doing this)

can't remember if i had to run network setup wizard again after doing this or if it just worked.

good luck anyway.

keith-236785 18:49 02 Nov 03

oops, forgot to say, you will need to do the same to both pc's.

i also installed NWLink NetBIOS.

don't know which one it was that made a difference but my network is still working after a week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…