Networking printer XP and ME

Dipso 22:17 26 Jan 06

Wasn't sure whether to post in here or Helproom?

Printer is installed on XP PC but I want to use it from networked ME PC. Printer is already set up to be shared and can be seen by ME PC but I am having problems installing the drivers on the ME PC.

I have tried various things including installing the printer proper on the ME PC.

When I attempt to "add" the network printer I am asked for the ME drivers (even though they already installed on the PC?). I get a box asking to install the drivers so I click Have Disk, then Browse for the drivers on the CD. The problem I have is I don't know which folder to point to. This is what I am presented with click here

Can anyone help?

mgmcc 09:29 27 Jan 06

In the Windows ME PC, open "My Network Places" and also open a second window for the Printers folder. Find the printer in the remote PC and drag its icon from "My Network Places" into the ME PC's Printers folder.

You should be able to ignore any attempts to install drivers as they have already been installed. Once the icon is in WinME, select its Properties and, if necessary, change its driver from the "drop down" menu to the correct one, as previously installed.

Dipso 17:24 27 Jan 06

I had tried what you suggest after doing a search and reading one of your earlier posts. The only problem was, if I tried to ignore the requests to install drivers the printer icon disappeared and I was back at square one.

I tried a different approach today. I installed the wrong HP printer driver then changed the driver as you suggested to the correct one, bingo!

I now have a small problem in that when I first boot up I have a profile that won't let me access the printer or network places, I can still access the net through the router though. I have to log out and log back in as a different user?

I will do a search and if I can't resolve it will do a new post.

Thanks very much for your help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac