Networking a printer

eikonuj 21:03 23 Feb 04

With thanks to all concerned I now have a 54g Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Firewall Router hard wired to my PC (RJ45 Cat 5 cable supplied)and wireless to a laptop (D-Link Air Plus Extreme G+ DWL-G650+ Cardbus Adapter) and all are working perfectly. My PC has a USB printer connected. How can I print from my laptop to the printer? Both are running Win XP Home.

LastChip 22:20 23 Feb 04

But when it comes to the question, is it local or networked, select networked.

LastChip 22:22 23 Feb 04

Make sure when you are doing this, your laptop is connected to the network AND your printer on the PC is set to be shared.

eikonuj 22:45 23 Feb 04

how do I set my printer to be shared?

roy 23:01 23 Feb 04

Set it through Printer Properties.

roy 23:03 23 Feb 04

Set it through Printer Properties.

Go to Control panel/Printers and fax. Click on your default printer and select Sharing.

eikonuj 09:49 24 Feb 04

Done that but got the following message 'Printer settings could not be saved - operation could not be completed' HELP

LastChip 14:45 24 Feb 04

On your PC, to which I understand the printer is attached, you go into Control Panel; Printers; Right Click the printer and select Properties. Now select the Sharing Tab and allow your printer to be shared by ticking the appropriate box and selecting Apply; OK.

Is this the point you are experiencing problems?

eikonuj 18:21 24 Feb 04

Yes

LastChip 21:22 24 Feb 04

Just looking back at your post(s), nowhere does it say you are sharing files between the two computers.

Can you do that?

eikonuj 09:18 25 Feb 04

but cannot share files between the two, i have 'pinged' both from the other ok. They are not communicating with each other otherwise.Should I use ICS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…