Networking Password Query (Win 2k)

Ben Avery 11:44 24 Jun 03

G'day

I?ve come up against a slight problem. I networked my notebook into my home network, which are both set up on the same Workgroup, but when I try to access the notebook from my workstation, it asks me for a password to connect. I can access the workstation from the notebook without any problems but when I try it the other way round it seems to be protected. I know of no password which has been put into the notebook though.

Any thoughts?

BA

spikeychris 11:53 24 Jun 03

Morning Ben

Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
Under System Tools, double-click Local Users and Groups to expand it, and then click Users.

In the right pane, right-click the Guest account, and then click Properties.
Click to clear the Disable this account check box, and make sure the password is set to null (blank). Click OK.

Chris

Ben Avery 12:27 24 Jun 03

Thanks chap

I've set that up as you suggested but when I try to connect (I'm at work at present but the workgroup details are the same) it now says

\\NOTEBOOK\My Documents is not accessible.

Access is denied.

What next? :o)

BA

spikeychris 13:00 24 Jun 03

Sorry for delay Ben, have you set the my docs folder to be shared?

Ben Avery 13:12 24 Jun 03

Yup!

;o)

Ben Avery 13:26 24 Jun 03

Also FYI under the sharing option, I set permissions to "Everyone". I assume that is correct?

BA

spikeychris 16:09 24 Jun 03

Are you logged on as admin on both machines? you should make sure that both names are part of the admin group. In My Computer/manage/users/right click/properties, check to see if one name is a "member of" users, if so add it to power users or administrator.

Chris

A15 16:46 24 Jun 03

I have had this problem with Win2k. the only way I could make networking work properly was to make sure that both machines use the same login password.

In other words when you log into your desktop, if you input a password or have set it to log in automatically using a password then make sure the laptop is set up identically using the same password. Worked for me! hope it does for you too.

Ben Avery 16:56 24 Jun 03

Workstation is running 2000 too.

I'll try out options above soon. Having major office trouble at the mo!

BA

Ben Avery 16:16 25 Jun 03

Desktop PC at work is running windows 98SE with a logon password and a network password to connect to the Domain server.

The notebook is running win 2k but does not have a password on the logon as far as I'm aware (I bought the notebook 2nd hand and windows had been pre-installed using "user" and no password) so it only flashes up the logon screen (greyed out) very briefly but has no asterisks in the password box.

Without changing the logon details on the notebook, is there no way around this?

BA

spikeychris 17:54 25 Jun 03

Ben you've confused me, is the desktop the workstation you mentioned or is this a different machine?

You will have to configure the laptop to join the network.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5