networking ntl with homeplug system

elgar 14:21 21 Jan 07

I am replacing an ADSL modem router network with ntl cabel modem. My current network is connected using Devolo hispeed homeplug connectors. This has worked fine with the old ADSL system. I have replaced the ADSL router with a cable router but cannot no longer connect via the homeplug network cables. Has anyone else had this issue.

mgmcc 18:55 21 Jan 07

Do these Homeplug adapters actually have their own IP addresses? If so, these may now have to be changed so that they are in the same Subnet (IP address range) as the new Cable/DSL Router.

On the LAN side of a router, there is no reason why they should behave any differently from the way they did with the old router.

elgar 19:16 21 Jan 07

Thanks - the homeplugs do have their own MAC addresses but I don't think they need changing because moments after I posted my question, internet burst into life on the host computer and one of the clients. So everything must be connected and working. However one computer remains incommunicado whether I use ethernet or wireless. I have rerun the networking wizard on all computers and I can connect with the routers admin page. I can't think of anything else I may have left out. Any offers anyone.

mgmcc 19:32 21 Jan 07

<<< the homeplugs do have their own MAC addresses but I don't think they need changing >>>

It was IP addresses I was referring to, not MAC addresses. Some network devices, such as stand-alone Wireless Access Points actually have an IP address as well as a MAC address. As it turns out though, this obviously hasn't been your problem.

<<< internet burst into life on the host computer and one of the clients. >>>

With a router, there is no "host" computer - the router itself hosts the internet connection and all connected computers are clients. Presumably your computers are all connecting directly with the router?

elgar 19:58 22 Jan 07

Thanks for your time mgmcc,

I realised just as I clicked post that I was waffling about MACs when you had said IP addresses - more haste less speed eh?. I went through the process of running network setup wizard again and this time it seemed to work. All computers are now connected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017