Networking with NTL

Guidance required please..
I am using an NTL settop box to provide broadband to a desktop PC connected by an ethernet cable. I have now acquired a notebook that with an ethernet socket. I would like as a minimum to enable both the desktop PC and the notebook to access the the net. What hardware to I need (someone has indicated that because my ISP is NTL I need to something unusual?). If I can also share files and printer etc that would of addiytional benefit. Does that mean additional hardware? I would prefer not to have to open up either the desktop or notebook. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

LastChip 20:21 13 Nov 05
  LastChip 20:34 13 Nov 05

Try this one. click here

mgmcc 20:58 13 Nov 05

To create a wired network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options:

1) Install a Network Adapter in each PC (if not already installed) and connect them directly with a "crossover" CAT5 ethernet cable. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address and subnet mask If you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked. The “client” PC’s Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the “host”.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users...etc”.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than one computer is to use a broadband Router. All networked computers connect directly to the router with ‘straight-wired’ CAT5 ethernet cables.

With a router, it is the router which connects directly to the ISP and not one of the connected PCs. The router in turn allocates the IP addresses to the PCs, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, usually

Either of these options will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing across the network.

If you are running software firewalls, the IP addresses of the networked PCs must be put into its "trusted" area to allow them to communicate with one another.

NOTE: With option (1), as you are already connecting to NTL's service by ethernet, the PC would require a second network adapter to connect to the "client" PC. However, this can be a USB network adapter to avoid opening the PC.

<<< someone has indicated that because my ISP is NTL I need to something unusual? >>>

To use a router with Cable Broadband, you require a "stand-alone" router *NOT* a combined "Router/ADSL Modem".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…