Networking - not working

sean-278262 22:30 15 Aug 04

I have a network i want to get to work and it just wont.
I have run the windows xp setup 4 the home networking on both my computers (running XP Home) and i cannot get the pcs to connect using the "view workgroup computers".
on my pc i get an egg timer and nothing more till it says that "mshome is not accessable you might not have permission to use this network resource.contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.the list of servers for this workgroup is not available".
the other computer sees my pc but wont connect to it saying that i do not have administrator rights to access it.
I am using a Linksys 5 port switch and 2 rj45 straight through cables.The switch is for the other computer in the lounge which has my mp3s on it but i have not the time to start drilling holes to set it up at the minute.
I just cannot seem to find what the problem is.all the lights are on and nothing seems to want to work.there are no problems with the cards on the pcs as i have run a crossover through to them and they happily sent a few files to each other.
if you need any more info i will be online for another hour, if i have managed to forget something vital (more likely i have).

Thanks in advance for your help.

sean-278262 14:24 02 Oct 04

bugga

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…