NETWORKING NIGGLES

Bertie B 12:30 05 Jul 03

A month or so ago I set up a simple two PC network - LAN cards in both connected with a crossover ethernet cable. New PC operates XP Home - Old PC operates Win 98SE. All worked well for some weeks - then, suddenly, the network operation seems to have become a hit & miss affair - sometimes it works OK and other times, like today, files take an age to save or open across the network and printed documents from the old PC to the printer connected to the new PC only print out 1/2 or 2/3rds of the document.

Any body out there had similar problems and been able to resolve, please?

jazzypop 13:08 05 Jul 03

Here is a good list of things to check - click here

keith-236785 16:54 05 Jul 03

Yes and mine has totally given up the ghost. i no longer have a network but i have given up.

tried everything i know but still nothing so

sorry i can`t help (i do know of a couple of good hard brick walls though, if you need them LOL)

Bertie B 17:33 05 Jul 03

Lots of info on the link provided by jazzypop - was not working too well when I started - not working at all now!! The internet connection link is working so I can access the internet from both PC's which proves the hard ethernet link is OK. BUT - search for either PC fron the other and they are not found. Network Neighbourhood does not see anything other than "entire networK". No PC names present!

I am giving up now cos my trouble & strife [i.e. ball & chain] is going ape as I have done nothing but sit in front of these bl**dy PCs all day long!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017