networking via the mains

russ-rich 17:17 08 Jan 07

I currently have a BT ADSL router with the idea that I could use other computers wirelessly throughout the house and garden. Reception has proved to be patchy and variable and therefore I am looking at using the Homeplug systems via the ring main electrical circuit within the house.
However, I am confused as to what speed I should look for e.g. 14, 54 or 85Mbps. This is not for gaming; just browsing the internet via broadband.

Also what are the pros and cons of this system (I appreciate there would have to be wiring from the computers to the plug socket)?

Your help would be appreciated.

Russ

dms05 21:36 08 Jan 07

Personally I'd chose 14Mb/sec if you are just browsing. Pro's are the LAN cabling is the ring main and you just need short lengths of LAN cable from the mains socket to your PC. Simple to install. Simple encryption. Only works over short distance so little chance of security breech. Con's are you need at least 2 Homeplugs (one for router to mains and the other from mains to PC). Each additional PC needs another Homeplug. Possible expensive. LAN cables from mains socket to PC.

I'm surprised more people don't use Homeplug.

JJCUK 21:57 08 Jan 07

I second dms05 's response
though if you can afford it , it is always better to go for a faster speed device.
I currently use the Devolo dlan high speed devices up to 85Mbps
the pro's of the system are it is truly plug and play connected it both ends and thats it, set up encryption 2 minutes longer.
the con's are the price they are currently a little expenxive

Tim1964 21:10 09 Jan 07

More on this thread

click here

If you plan on transferring large amounts of data then the faster the better of course.

oMine were from ebay (from Digidave) and were only £49 for the three (posted as tb64).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…