Networking with a Linksys WRT54GS Router.

diogenes 21:32 28 Mar 06

I would like to instal the above. At present my system uses a BT Voyager 205 ADSL router. The rest of my system is:

Pentium processor 1.4gb
256 RAM.
I am pretty sure that there is not a wireless card installed.

Is it possible to continue to connect by wire, as before, whilst installing the router for wireless access by the laptop? If so, how is it done?

if any further information is needed I shall do my best to supply it.

As always thanks to everyone for their help.

ade.h 21:56 28 Mar 06

"Is it possible to continue to connect by wire, as before, whilst installing the router for wireless access by the laptop? If so, how is it done?"

I've read that through three times and I still don't quite get your meaning. So I'll just explain how a router must be configured and hope that it answers your question.

When you configure a router or modem/router for the first time - regardless of any wireless capability - you must connect it to a desktop or laptop PC via an RJ45 Ethernet patch cable.

The wireless link cannot be accessed until it is configured.

Whenever you need to make changes that relate to or affect the wireless link, you must disconnect any wireless clients and enter the router's config interface on a wired PC again.

In other words, you must have Ethernet capability on at least one desktop or laptop in order to use a router.

Strawballs 02:38 29 Mar 06

You say that at present you use BT Voyager then I think that the router that you have chosen ids the wrong one it is for cable connection I think that you need a router/modem combination. But to answer your question yes you can have up to 4 machines connected to most routers by wire and then your laptop by wireless. I have one machine connected to my router by wire because it is sat right besides the router and I idid not see the need to spend out on another wireless card and then I have a deskyop upstairs wireless and one wireless laptop that I can use anywhere in the house or garden. I have the same router that you say you have and I am connected by cable set top box by ethernet cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant