Networking Laptops advice

jorel 23:00 02 Jan 05

Hi. I am fairly computer savvy, but have to admit to knowing nothing about networking. I want to network two laptops (both running XP Pro)for file swapping between the two. Printer sharing is not an issue as all files can be downloaded to one of the laptops for printing. Can anyone please suggest the simplist method of doing this? Can they be networked for simple file sharing via the modems or, if not, what extra hardware will I need? I would also like to network them so that my girlfriend and I can both occasionally surf the web at the same time (sorry, can't spell simultaneously)which no doubt will be more complex. What extra hardware would I need (Ethernet cards?) and, once again, what is the simplist method of doing it? Many thanks in advance and much appreciation for any help offered.

Taff36 23:21 02 Jan 05

Took me a while to find this link but it explains a very basic way to achieve what you want. Hope it helps. click here

Taff36 23:26 02 Jan 05

And if you really want to learn about it all - click here (I generally leave it to the IT department because I know the principle not the execution!)

jorel 23:31 02 Jan 05

Have checked the site and bookmarked it. I looked everywhere for a simple 'idiot networking guide' without tons of techy jargon but couldn't find one lol. Thanks a lot for the help, very much appreciated.

jorel 23:33 02 Jan 05

Have bookmarked the Microsoft site too, many thanks again Taff36, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…