Networking with a laptop and a PC

Sidetrax 20:56 27 Mar 06

Ive jsut bought a new laptop and I want to connect it to one of my two PCs so it can go on the internet.
Ive got a straight through cable from the router to my PC and a cross-over to the laptop, now Im no good with all the IP addreses and stuff so any help as to why its not connecting would be great thanks :)

recap 22:51 27 Mar 06

This click here should help you configure your network.

mgmcc 00:02 28 Mar 06

If you have a router, why do you want to connect the laptop to one of the PCs by crossover cable instead of connecting it directly to the router as well?

What you are trying to do should work, but the router must operate in a different subnet (IP address range) from "Internet Connection Sharing" which uses 192.168.0.xxx

I assume one of the PCs has two network adapters installed - one to the router for its internet access and a second to the laptop? That being the case, you need to enable ICS on the adapter that connects to the internet. This will automatically configure the second netwok adapter (that connects to the laptop) with the IP address 192.168.0.1. The laptop's network adapter should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "host" PC. It will also get an address in the 192.168.0.xxx subnet.

The router's IP address, and the range in which it allocates addresses, must be in a different subnet from that used in the ICS arrangement between "host" and "client", otherwise there will be a conflict. The third 'octet' of the IP addresses must be something other than "0", i.e. 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.2.xxx etc.

Sidetrax 01:21 28 Mar 06

Great guides, got it to work. Thanks for the help guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos