networking with a laptop need help please

coubury 16:46 26 Mar 06

right the problem is i have a laptop and im looking to connect it to my pc i have a network card in the laptop and i have boyught a crossover cable but i dont no what to do lol i want to go to the internet on the pc and laptop at the same time..

at the minute i have my cross over cable connect to my laptop going into the router

i have no connection from my pc to the router and obviusly need somthing as im looking to share the connection between the 2

my router is a bt voyager 210

Danoh 17:27 26 Mar 06

To be able to access the internet from both your PC and laptop at the same time, I would prefer to connect both of them directly to your router.
That way, you only have to switch on just the one computer you want to use.
To do that you need a standard patch Ethernet cable (not Crossover type) for each of your computers, to go into separate LAM Ethernet ports in your router.

coubury 17:33 26 Mar 06

how can i connect the pc to the router and the laptop to the router there is only place for a usb connection and an ethernet connection. if i use the etherent connection from the pc to the router that means i cant connect the laptop

Danoh 17:41 26 Mar 06

Didn't realise your router only has 1 ethernet port.
Ok, then router-PC (standard patch cable, not crossover)
PC-Laptop (crossover cable as you have mentioned)

PC > Network Wizard, setup network, select the option;
"This computer connects directly to the internet
other computers connect via this one
(or words to that effect)

coubury 18:24 26 Mar 06

the router is not the only thing that has one ethernet port

my pc also only has one which to me is the problem can u buy an adaptor are anthing that will go in and make 2 ports available

Danoh 18:58 26 Mar 06

rats!
Then USB from router to your PC,
Crossover Ethernet cable PC-Laptop

coubury 19:00 26 Mar 06

i shall give it ago mate and let you know

coubury 19:11 26 Mar 06

no dosent work for some reason the usb connection to the router dosent seem to be making a signal

Danoh 20:36 26 Mar 06

Oh. So I guess it connected via the Ethernet cable before? I.e. you never had it working via USB?

Did Windows Hardware Wizard come on when you connected via USB? It might require the installation of USB drivers for the BT router.

mgmcc 08:25 27 Mar 06

<<< the router is not the only thing that has one ethernet port

my pc also only has one which to me is the problem can u buy an adaptor are anthing that will go in and make 2 ports available >>>

Yes you can install additional network adapters in the PC. If you have a spare PCI slot, a network adapter shouldn't be more than £10.

Perhaps a better option would be to get a "Network Switch" and plug that into the router's single ethernet port to provide additional ports. Both computers could then connect by ethernet to the router.

coubury 18:43 27 Mar 06

yes that network switch would prob be the best option thanks i shall get one in the morning thanks alot people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac