Networking Laptop to desktop

SteevScotland 19:49 25 Feb 04

I'M trying to network my laptop and my desktop via a hub. After a few hicups I managed to get the two computers to exchange files but for some reason I cant get the laptop to share the desktops broadband connection.

The desktop is running XP home and the laptop is running XP pro if that makes any difference.

Any Ideas?

Cheers S

SteevScotland 19:51 25 Feb 04

Scratch that I can see files from the desktop on the laptop but not the other way around.

Cheers S

SteevScotland 21:14 25 Feb 04

I dont mean to be pushy but I need to get this sorted tonight. Does any one have any Idea what could be wrong?

The windows trouble shooter says something about reseting an IP address but I dont have a clue about how to do that.

Cheers S

bythor 21:21 25 Feb 04

try this:
start, run. type "cmd".
In the dos window that opens type "ipconfig/release" hit return
then type "ipconfig/renew" hit return.
type exit to leave cmd.

SteevScotland 23:22 25 Feb 04

Thanks I'll try that. Do I do it inthe laptop or the desktop?

Cheers S

SteevScotland 23:44 25 Feb 04

Almost there. the internet connection sharing is working now. Still cant access files on the laptop from the desktop though.

Cheers S

JerryJay 00:28 26 Feb 04

Have to set file sharing permission on your desktop? Another thing, have you have any firewall program running. Zonealarm can cause trouble.

SteevScotland 09:23 26 Feb 04

How do i set the file permission? Do you mean share the drives? I have done this no problem on the XP home desktop but I'm having trouble with XP Pro on the laptop. I had Norton firewall but I turned it off when setting up the network.

Cheers S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…