networking Is it just for broadband

feredo 18:49 06 Mar 05

networking Is it just for broadband.

Just wondered if its just broadband or can 2 computers share all programs and control each other etc.
I.e. can I run a program from another computer and see it and use it even though its on the other one.

Thanks

LastChip 19:02 06 Mar 05

The original concept of networking, is exactly as you have described.

The sharing of files and applications across multiple computers. I fact not all that long ago, many network computers did not contain an operating system at all, but used the system on the "server". Some are still in existence today.

Chezdez 20:54 06 Mar 05

the original conecpt of networking was to allow buisnesses to edit files, and have a global distribution of the files, so that you wouldn;t need to save any changes you make, and then save the changes to each individual machines. this could cause major problems when two people edit one document, and then someone else modifies it, and so on (get the picture?). this method of 'networking' was called sneaker-net (from running backwards and forwards)

basically, networking evolved from this very crude system

anything else you wanna know?

Strawballs 23:16 06 Mar 05

Even if you have a dialup you can still share a internet connection using 1 machine as a gateway and ICS (internet connection shareing) and a simple crossover lead between the 2 machines via network cards whether PCI or onboard the gateway machine must have the dialup connection and be left switched on for the second machine to access the net.

FelixTCat 23:53 06 Mar 05

There is software that you can install on pcs to allow remote control. WinXP Pro has a built-in capability or commercial software such as Symantec pcAnywhere does the trick extremely well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…