Networking issues

plsndrs3 14:48 23 Aug 04

I have a company laptop running W2K and a personal desktop running XP Home. Both are connected via a Belkin Gateway Router to the internet, but I would like the 2 PCs netwroked to each other so that I can use the printer attached to my own PC without having to unplug it and connect it to the whichever PC I want to print from. I was hoping that the Belkin would do this [the laptop already connects to a LAN via the net & an Intranetwork] but cannot see any settings to do so & the only connectors at the back are for Network cables, not printers.

I saw recently that USB - USB cable can be used - can you explain how, or provide weblinks, if this is possible?

Thank You

Paul

mattswebsolutions.co.uk 15:04 23 Aug 04

You need a print server which can be picked up quite cheaply from ebuyer.com - click here

mgmcc 15:45 23 Aug 04

If both computers are connected to a router and getting internet access, they are already networked and, provided the PC with the printer attached is running, it should be possible to print to it from either PC. You do not require additional hardware unless you need to print without a 'host' PC running, then you would need to install a network print server.

What you should do (and have probably already done) is to install the printer in the laptop so that it has all of the drivers on board. Reconnect it to the desktop PC and in the printer's Properties, set it as "Shared". In the laptop's Network Neighborhood (or whatever W2K calls it), you should see an icon for the desktop PC and expanding that entry, you should then see the "shared printer". If you double click that printer icon, the printer will automatically be installed as a "Network Printer" in the laptop. Printing with the "Network Printer" will then print via the remote PC's attached printer.

You might find it necessary to set a folder in the desktop PC as "shared" as well so that the PC becomes visible on the network. Make sure also that both PCs are in the same Workgroup and that any firewall software is configured to allow access to the IP addresses of both computers.

plsndrs3 18:49 23 Aug 04

thanks for the responses. Will try suggestions from mgmcc tomorrow and if this doesn't work will by a prin server per mattswebsolutions.co.uk

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…