networking internet and file sharing/xp and xp pro

FUl2tiV3 23:40 11 Aug 05

i am new to home networking. i have just set up my system, and have only been able to do so with the brilliant help in here. thanks to FE, lastchip, and most of all taff36. i must say, robert the scottish tech guy at aol, is phenomenal as well.

i run aol/firefox, netgear dg834, desktop xp home, and centrino laptop xp pro.

this thread click here and this thread click here are invaluable.

this page click here was part of the key for me. the phrase 'If you intend to share files with other computers on your network, ensure that every account you have created has a password.' was one key change i made.

also i run zone alarm. my router (dg834g) has the ip xxx.xxx.x.1, the desktop has xxx.xxx.x.2, and the wireless laptop xxx.xxx.x.3. on the laptop i opened zone alarm. i clicked on firewall/main and set the trusted zone security to off, then in 'zones' i clicked on add/ip address and then input the ip of the desktop eg xxx.xxx.x.2.

on the desktop, i did the same, but input the ip of the laptop eg xxx.xxx.x.3

i ran the 'set up a home or small office network wizard' on each computer, and bingo, file sharing ensued. i then clicked on control panel/printers/printers/add a printer, on the wizard click 'a network printer...', then 'connect to this printer \\yourpcname\printer', and printer sharing came too.

i have reset zone alarm 'trusted zone security' back to medium, and all now seems ok. now i look at everything, it seems quite logical! i hope this is of help to someone, as all the advice was to me. thanks again!

nb aol only: had to download an aol fix to access internet banking, and during setup the 'mtu size' in wan setup defaulted back to 1458, it needed to be 1400. i was unable to access various sites on firefox. also had to manually add the wep 'key 1' to the wireless centrino setup.

networking internet and file sharing/xp and xp pro

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…