Networking - how to?

Elrond 22:20 10 Oct 03

I'm thinking of getting a laptop and I'd like to network it to my home PC and share it's broadband internet access. I'm unsure on how i'd be best off going about this. Do I need to buy a cable router and go from my modem to that and then from the router to the Pc and Laptop, or can I just have the cable modem going into my home pc and then connecting the laptop and pc via a NIC. Sorry if I've said something silly, I'm new to networking stuff. Thanks for your time. Oh by the way I am looking for the cheapest option.

Tim1964 22:29 10 Oct 03

If you have cable BB then have a look here click here

If you have the laptop connected to the desktop you will need to have the desktop on. If using a router/hub then they can be online individually.

Basically, laptop NIC to hub (patch cable), desktop NIC to hub(patch cable), hub to modem.

Elrond 22:33 10 Oct 03

Thanks Tim1964, it's most likely i'd only use the laptop to access the net when someone else is on the desktop surfing anyways. I'll read thru info on the link you posted right now. Thanks again

Epirb406 22:35 10 Oct 03
  Epirb406 22:35 10 Oct 03
  Elrond 22:47 10 Oct 03

Thanks for the link. I think I'll fully read thru tomorrow now. Me soo tired.

Elrond 10:00 11 Oct 03

bump

Elrond 19:54 12 Oct 03

Having decided on a laptop I am thinking of getting this

click here

I was just wondering, being a networking novice, what type of cable I'll need to connect my PC and laptop to the router. Thanks

recap 20:09 12 Oct 03

All that is needed it a "Crossover Cable" as long as your machines have NIC's in them no hub or router needed. If your machines are XP then run the "Network Wizard" with a floppy disc in the machine and then run the flopppy on the other machine. You should have it up and running within half an hour.

recap 20:10 12 Oct 03

One thing I should have mentioned is this, disable any firewall that is running on your machine first.

Elrond 20:12 12 Oct 03

I need the router so that I can access the net on either machine w/o needing a host to be switched on. So would I still need X-over cables to connect to the router or would this be okay

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…