//some 3rd party need geo

Networking a home desktop PC to a laptop

reqpete 23:15 05 Mar 03

What would be the most efficient/cost-effective method to network a home desktop PC to a laptop? The desktop PC is a Dell running Windows 98 and is also connected to a phone line via a modem card, and to a printer and a scanner. It would need a network card installing, as this isn't present yet. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8200 running Windows XP and has an integral modem/network PC card.
Ideally, I would like access to all drives from each of the PC's, and also to connect to the printer and the scanner from the laptop.
Would it be easiest getting a docking station?
What network cable would be advisable?

Lozzy 00:04 06 Mar 03

Network card 10/100 for the PC and one Xover RJ45 cable. Use the laptop with XP as the server and win 98 PC as the workstation.. XP wizard will take you step by step. Easy and simple

acrobat270 10:08 09 Mar 03

Lozzy,

As a novice to this! I am aware that Win XP provides the software for setting this up. As well as having the network features ie. shared internet and printer etc I want to set up a situation where work I do at work on my laptop can be synced with my desktop at home so I can work on the files in the evening. Will this set up with a xover ethernet cable do the job?

Cheers

Dunks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…