//some 3rd party need geo

Networking Help Required

buscrew 18:32 08 Sep 04

My friend has two PC's, both identical, both running XP Pro with SP2, and both have on board Ethernet capabilities. He wants to connect the two to access the secondary from the primary. As I know nothing about networking, but am fairly computer literate, can someone advise me as to the simplest way to achieve this with minimum cost. I know bluetooth is now a viable option in SP2, but would prefer a faster option. The PC's are in the same room, next to each other (don't ask.....please) this it what he wants and I said I will assist him to achieve it.

winstonwolf 18:37 08 Sep 04

i use this
click here

works a treat

buscrew 18:41 08 Sep 04

That looks good for the software, thanks for the link. What would I use for the physical connection between the comps?

buscrew 19:16 08 Sep 04

^

paranomia 19:26 08 Sep 04

Maybe I have misunderstood what you are looking for but... would not the cheapest method be an RJ45 crossover cable? (about £2 from B&Q!!) As for software, if you are using XP you can use the networking wizard which will set everything up for you. Or if you have broadband, why not put a router in between? (about £40 - even less on eBay!)

winstonwolf 21:15 08 Sep 04

withe the remote software you dont need a link between the 2 pc's , it connects to any pc you have anywhere by ip address .

Techno_Robbo 21:44 08 Sep 04

I would be careful setting up wireless networking with Windows XP as unless you get the security exactly right you will leave security holes which others can exploit.

As the 2 PC's are side by side then I would go with an RJ45 crossover cable.

TomJerry 21:47 08 Sep 04

get a Cat5 Crossover cable, this is all you need. As for software, nothing additional is required, just run XP's network setup wizard on both machines. If you need more info, check out homenethelp click here

TomJerry 22:51 08 Sep 04

How do you do that if you do not have a network?

buscrew 11:25 09 Sep 04

Sorry for the late reply. It seems that an RJ45 crossover cable is what I'm looking for. I will obtain one today. Thanks again for your replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…