Networking Frustration.

InZaNE_mOdS 22:50 06 Dec 03

Hi. Okay first of all i have already sent a couple of posts on this to no avail. One more try.

So today i decide to install win xp pro on my ME machine as i couldnt get my network to work.

Installed, One machine ME to XP PRO, second machine XP PRO. Networked through a router and using 150k BB. Run network setup on the XP PRO Machine,Use network Floppy Disk that had just created on the ME to WIN XP PRO machine and all goes well. Restart pc, look at network places and workgroups, It is not accessible, Or i can only see my computer there. Both setups named network MSHOME. Change a couple of settings in each network adapter, Hey i can see the other pc now, Double click on the other pc and it is not accessible. I thought it was because i didnt have SP1, So i download SP1a and each SP1a on each pc was a different file size so difference in time.

Okay so now I have downloaded SP1a on both pcs, Now i see none and the MSHOME network is not accessible at all. Tried everything but to no avail. Decide to click Setup homenetwork again, named it Bedroom and now i can see my computer but wait, the MSHOME network is sitting next to the Bedroom network but difference is the MSHOME is not accessible. So i unclick a few more settings and restart pc, then i cant see MSHOME anymore and also cant access the bedroom network.

Ran setup for a third time with network disk as well, named network local, same result nothing. VERY frustrating, and i think i will leave it til tomorrow. Post some ideas please, this is very annoying.

Forum Editor 23:13 06 Dec 03

I ask, because if you don't share any drives or directories you won't see anything.

Try sharing the whole C drive on one of the machines - ignore the dire warnings about not sharing the root of a drive for the moment, and go ahead.

You should now be able to see this drive in My network places. You'll obviously need to check that you have the correct networking protocols installed on each machine - TCP/IP, File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks, and Client for Microsoft networks. If you don't, you must add them.

Once you have the network running, with each machine seeing the others' shared resources you can fiddle with the sharing - whatever you do, don't go online with the root of a C drive shared.

InZaNE_mOdS 23:13 06 Dec 03

also as i have run the network setup three times already, where will the other two networks be? Will they just be gone forever. As im not comfortable with them lurking about without my knowing.

InZaNE_mOdS 23:14 06 Dec 03

Hi thanks for reply, i am glad someone replied. Yes all tcp/ip are shared, i will try sharing the root and tell you how it goes. thanks forum editor.

Forum Editor 23:17 06 Dec 03

but resist the temptation to do too much clicking and setting up. This will work, but you need to approach it logically and rationally.

InZaNE_mOdS 23:19 06 Dec 03

Okay just shared the root drive of C on my ME to XP PRO machine. But went on my other machine and tried accessing it and it says not accessible, i might not have permissions or something. Any more ideas?

InZaNE_mOdS 23:22 06 Dec 03

btw i meant that the Network was not accessible not the computer.

InZaNE_mOdS 23:40 06 Dec 03

"You should now be able to see this drive in My network places. You'll obviously need to check that you have the correct networking protocols installed on each machine - TCP/IP, File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks, and Client for Microsoft networks. If you don't, you must add them."

Well i do have the correct networking protocols installed, sharing the root drive of both pcs and i go to view computers in my workgroup a message ocmes up later saying the network is not accessible or available, check with administrator. And i dont see the drive anywhere at all.

flick 00:57 07 Dec 03

I have every sympathy with your frustration having gone through a very similar exercise myself.
In the end I followed the step by step guide at click here because I was connecting three computers with different operating systems -XP Pro, XP Home and Win 2000- and different wireless equipment.

Have you turned off firewall protection? When ZA is enabled on the Win 2000 computer, I can't access it from the others, but it's fine when it's disabled. I haven't tested what effect the XP firewall has since I've never used it.

InZaNE_mOdS 10:58 07 Dec 03

i have tried turning off some as i have many. do you think it would be okay without any firewalls running at all. although i do have a hardware firewall on my router enables.

flick 12:48 07 Dec 03

I rely on my router firewall for the xp computers. How effective that is I'm not too sure. Depends on the router I suppose.

Since the Win 2000 machine is my husband's business computer, for added protection I keep ZA enabled unless I need to access a particular file or his laser printer. It's simple enough to switch on and off.

My original purpose in trying to get a network going was so that the laptops could access printers without having to plug them in. In that respect it now works brilliantly. The ability to access/copy bits and pieces from one machine to another instead of emailing them as we did previously is an addded bonus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…