Networking easy? it's a pain.

skerryvore 12:24 02 Mar 08

Trying to network my main computer with one in loft.
With both a hub or crossover cable the PC in the loft recognises the main computer is there but gives the message
'\\main is not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.
The network path was not found'
My main computer on the other hand doesn't recognise that the PC in the loft is even connected.
I've disabled both Zone Alarm and Windows firewall.
Suggestions please.

MAJ 12:36 02 Mar 08

It's fairly easy to set up, skerryvore, but yes, it can be a pain at times to get working. Sometimes it isn't enough to disable the firewall (you should only have one firewall operating at a time). Try adding each computer's IP address to ZoneAlarm's trusted zone on the other computer.

Jim_F 12:43 02 Mar 08

On the hardware side you could check that the indicator lights on both network cards are flickering.

At least one folder or root of the drive would need to be shared.

Both machines should be in the same workgroup and assigned IP addresses either by internet connection sharing or static IP addresses and these should be in the same subnet (eg the first three numbers are the same).

crosstrainer 13:22 02 Mar 08

And enable file and print sharing.

skerryvore 15:57 02 Mar 08

Thanks all, eventually sussed that my Zone Alarm settings were too high.
Both PC's talking to each other.
However (there's always one of them) my loft PC can't connect to the Internet via the network.
Just about had enough for today, the bottle beckons :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5