Networking dummy needs help with printer sharing

mikeyh57 08:56 15 Nov 05

I have a system where by the only printer we have is located on our main computer downstairs which is wirelessly networked into two others upstairs.
How do I enable these two computers to send things to the downstairs printer?

Any help would be appreciated

PS Not very techie so easy guides would be appreciated.

Taff™ 10:07 15 Nov 05

Assuming these three computers are already networked and can share files - On the "host" computer go to Control Panel>Printers and right click the printer, then select sharing. Type a useful description such as "Canon on Computer1" or "Reception Printer" and obviously select the share printer option.

On the "client" computer go to Printers and add printer. A wizard will start and you should follow that but browse to the printer on the network.

mikeyh57 15:29 15 Nov 05

Not sure if i am set up for sharing files how will I know or how can I do it or find out.

Told you I wasn't very techie

Kegger 20:28 15 Nov 05

Hi Mikeyh57,
I am assuming that you have windows XP on your main PC, go to 'Printer And faxes' icon and then select your printer, then right click on it and about half way down the drop down box you will see 'Sharing' select this option and then select 'share this printer' give it a useful name apply and then all units will pick up the share. Kegger

Taff™ 06:45 16 Nov 05

The simple test is to open Windows Explorer (Windows Key & "E" key simultaneously) and brows to My Network Places>Entire Network> Windows Network and then see if you can see your own network and the connected computers. If you can`t and assuming you have Windows XP:

On the "host" computer open control panel and run the Network Setup Wizard. You will need to transfer the settings using a floppy disk or CD to each of the other computers.

mgmcc 07:33 16 Nov 05

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here;en-us;141839

mgmcc 07:36 16 Nov 05

URL for Microsoft Article:

h t t p : / /;en-us;141839

Kegger 22:35 17 Nov 05

Concurr with mgmcc,
however you haven't as yet told us what OS (operating system) you are using, we are here to help, but a fuller picture 'paints a thousand words'or is the issue re-solved. Kegger

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…