Networking - driver conflict

Rodney-211388 15:42 10 Oct 04

I have a wired network between two desk top machines running XP and 98 (host). All has been well until now, when neither machine recognises the existence of the other. Having reset up the network to no avail, I think that the problem is on the host machine. In Device Manager, there is an exclam mark against 'Existing Ndisc Driver' with message 'The NDIS.VXD device loader for this device could not load the device driver (code 2). To fix this, click update Driver etc etc'

I have updated the driver to no avail. I have removed Ndis2 and reinstalled to no avail.

Any ideas as to what I should do next??

easyrider 19:16 10 Oct 04

Can you make the XP machine the host? It may be that 98 has become corrupted, you could try reloading 98 again.

Rodney-211388 10:09 11 Oct 04

I guess the XP machine is really the host - it's just that all my files are on the older 98 machine.

Since my original message, I have discovered that the two machines' IP addresses are not in the same range - each has a direct internet connection so they should both be in the 169.254.x.y range; however, the 98 machine has got itself into the 192.168.x.y range and the problem must lie there. How do I change that IP address?? Reestablishing the network doesn't do it!

I have done ping test on the XP machine to itself and all is well there.

I really don't want to reload 98!

easyrider 10:31 11 Oct 04

I thought that the IP address for a local network should be in the range of 192.168.x.y, that is how my network addresses start. Try changing the XP machine to that range.

recap 11:42 11 Oct 04

There should be no need to reinstall W98.

Check your IP setting on the W98 machine. To do this right click Network Neighborhood icon on the desktop, highlight the adaptor for that particular machine and select Properties. In the Properties box Click the IP tab, from here you can change your IP address.

Rodney-211388 21:07 11 Oct 04

Thanks recap - but what ip address should I give it?

The XP machine's is 169.254.139.33

Thanks also easyrider - I will go down that route if recap's suggestion doesn't work.

recap 09:18 12 Oct 04

If as you say the XP machine is 169.254.139.33 then try 169.254.139.34 for the other. If this does not work give each machine a Class C address of 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2 respectively

Rodney-211388 21:12 12 Oct 04

I changed the 98 machine to a 169 ip address - did not fix the problem.

Now, when attempting to browse the network, on Network Neighbourhood, only the Entire Network icon is displayed and on double clicking it, an error message appears:

'Unable to browse the network.
The network is not accessible. For more information, look in the Help Index at the topic Network Troubleshooter'

This problem is covered in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 193938 - looks tedious!

So, no quick fix.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Rodney-211388 21:45 12 Oct 04

No sooner had I sent the above......

the xp machine now recognises the 'full' network and I can access files on the 98 machine and use the printer hooked up to the 98 - so that is all fixed; for the time being at any rate! However, the 98 machine does not recognise the XP machine -essentially it is one way traffic.

Any final thoughts??

Check to see if the Windows firewall is enabled on the XP machine. If it is, then turn it off, and see if this resolves the problem. If it does, then download the Zone Alarm firewall at click here. The free version is excellent for providing easily configurable protection.

Rodney-211388 08:13 13 Oct 04

The XP firewall is disabled and I do have Zone Alarm on the XP machine.

The problem is with the 98 machine - this morning it fails to recognise that a network exists - no icons in Network Neigbourhood. However, using the XP machine, I am able to access files on the 98 machine as well as its printer - all very strange!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…