Networking different OS or same OS?

Mr_Nice_Guy 17:54 03 Dec 03

Hi i recently posted a thread about this but to no avail, decided to try again.

Well i have networked two pcs sharing ntl's 150k bb, one pc is win xp pro and other is win me.

So i have internet sharing working, perfectly, but i want to know how to view the other pc and its files, and also share files too. But i cant see any pc in network places, the networks are all the same.

Both are running norton firewall, that may be the problem, but what i want to know is, should i install the me machine with win xp pro, would this make it easier and would i have to reset router settings too?

Thanks all.

keith-236785 18:09 03 Dec 03

on the win xp machine, run the network setup wizard (its on the left in "My Network Places" SETUP A SMALL HOME OR OFFICE NETWORK).

once the wizard has finished, it will ask if you want to create a floppy disk, do so and run it on your ME machine.

that should be all you need to do, also ensure you have files and printer sharing enabled right click on the network connection and choose properties, you should see "files and printer sharing for microsoft networks".

good luck

Mr_Nice_Guy 18:27 03 Dec 03

thats exactly what i done and that didnt work.

Falkyrn 18:59 03 Dec 03

You'll need to identify what you want to share and set the permissions as such.

eg on the XP machine right click on C drive and select sharing .... allow sharing and reboot both machines they should now both see the C drive (not actually a wise move to share the root drive)

roy 19:11 03 Dec 03

Installing win xp on both machines will make no difference. I have a network of two pc's with the same os's as you. If you click on Properties for any folder, say My Music, do you see a tab called 'Sharing'? If you do then click on 'share this folder on the network'. If you haven't got the Sharing tab then I would think that you have not created a network yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…