Networking desktop and laptop pc

Curio 18:31 19 Jul 06

Am on Telewest Blueyonder Broadband with Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem connected via USB. From info gained from Blueyonder site they recommended Netgear Hardware and indicated I needed a wireless router, a Wireless USB adaptor and a Wireless PC card all at 54 Mbps. Kit has arrived and needs installing. In what order should they be installed? I am guessing Router, USB adaptor then PC Card. Have tried to read up on this before I start, but most of the guides I have read assume I am running something and browsing this Forum I keep seeing Ethernet cables being mentioned. The more I read, the more confusing it becomes. A simple pointer to the correct route would be appreciated.

ade.h 18:44 19 Jul 06

"Cable Modem connected via USB"

I didn't believe that to be possible; cable modems use an Ethernet interface because cable services use the PPPoE protocol.

Let's assume for a minute that you actually have an Ethernet modem:

1) Run an RJ45 (Ethernet cable) from the modem to router.
2) Run another RJ45 from the router to a client (PC).
3) Open a browser and enter the router's IP (I think Netgears use 192.168.1.1, though it might be 0.1; it's ages since I last used one)
4) Configure the router as per the manual.
5) If you intend to set up a wireless link on the SAME client that you used to configure the router, remove the RJ45 now.
6) Install the wireless adapter on the chosen client PC, following these instructions: click here

my name is taken 18:59 19 Jul 06

im on NTL broadband im using a USB lead as we do not have an ethernet port on the PC

Curio 19:00 19 Jul 06

Thanks for reply. I can assure you it is USB connected. Apparently it can also be connected to PC via the network card.

Curio 19:54 19 Jul 06

Will have to beg, borrow a 2nd Ethernet cable. Which RJ45 cable are you referring to in Para 5 please? I think you mean router to client

ade.h 21:12 19 Jul 06

The one between the router and the client. You won't get far if you unplug the other one!

mgmcc 07:34 20 Jul 06

With a Netgear router, you might actually be able to connect to it "wirelessly" out of the box - I know this is possible with their DG834G ADSL routers. If so, you wouldn't need a second ethernet cable, although you ought to have one in case of wireless problems.

Alternatively, with Cable broadband, you could almost certainly configure the router by connecting a PC to it with an ethernet cable and without having it connected to the modem. Unlike ADSL, connecting to Telewest, doesn't involve any modem configuration, there are no Usernames/Passwords and there is no PPP protocol involved. As long as the router is set for a "direct" connection or "automatic configuration - DHCP" (the terminology varies from brand to brand) you will get online. Connecting a router to the Cable Modem is no more complicated than plugging a PC into a router, the "client" device gets its IP address by DHCP and you're connected!

One essential point - when swapping the Cable Modem connection from the PC to the Router, you must power off the Cable Modem and leave it without power for two or three minutes. This is necessary so that it "releases" the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address it has allocated to it. When powered on, it will recognise a new connection and allocate a new IP address to it.

Curio 16:36 26 Jul 06

Finally laid hands on extra Ethernet cable. Modem had to be reinstalled using Ethernet rather than USB connection. NIC Card drivers also updated. Wireless Router then installed after several attempts. Had to Reset the Router which kept stalling at Internet connection. When that was done, everything went smoothly and had no problems. My thanks to all for the help, it did make things a bit easier.

ade.h 16:51 26 Jul 06

Nice job! Happy to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017