Networking-can I do this ?

Derek 09:55 05 Feb 05

I have two PC's side by side both Win XP Pro and Asus hi-end MB's. One I use for all general usage and the other dedicated to photography. I'm broadband also.
I have a switchbox which allows me to use both PC's at the same time but using just one 19" CRT, mouse and KB.
Is it possible for me to network both PC's using this system of switching. I've already linked the two PC's with an RJ45 and gone through the correct proceedure as explained in the Windows XP setup disc...and that's as far as I've got...by choice. I'm content to wait for advice.

About 2 months ago I purchased an SMC EZ6508TX UK with all the leads, I opened the box...got a bit frightened and put it away again ! Should I have a go at using this ?

Yes I have spare mice and kb's but having to have two large monitors side by side is a bit daunting.

Your help would be appreciated

AndySD 10:17 05 Feb 05

Ok so its Sat morning and I am still a little bit confused.

You wish to use the internet from both PC's??

You wish to share files and printers on both PC's?

I assume you are sucsessfully using the switchbox which allows me to use both PC's at the same time but using just one 19" CRT, mouse and KB.

The xp setup disk, is that the one created using the Windows XP networking wizard?

FelixTCat 10:19 05 Feb 05

You can network your 2 computers exactly as you suggest. You do not need the switch; it would only add any value if you have a separate ADSL connector (modem) that you could connect to the switch and then share the broadband connection on each computer.

Since you have XP Pro on both computers, you can clean up your physical desktop somewhat by using Remote Assistance from one computer to the other. This allows you to set up one computer as a window in the other and run both from one keyboard, mouse and monitor. You won't need the switchbox and leads.

Derek 11:37 05 Feb 05

Thank you Andy.
Yes...Iwant to use both PC's

Yes...I want to use Internet on both.

Yes...I want to use both printers and files on both.

Yes...I am working with both PC's - switching between both at will.

Yes...I have done the exercise using my XP pro CD.

Derek 11:47 05 Feb 05

Thank you Felix, this all sounds interesting and rather complicated for my old age to counter.
However, could you advise a 'paper' on it that could have been published by 'Age Concern' if you get my drift.
Perhaps Andy has an idea on this too.

But why the dickens should I want to use two PC's.
Answer..I have a Canon 8000F which refuses to work on a PC that has the Asus A7N8X Deluxe. Every time I make any slight changes to the setup, the scanner refuses to be recognised and has a communication error. Canon nor Asus can sort it and I've had the problem for 14 months.
I've now built another PC with the Asus A7N8X-X and it works beautifully. So I'm sticking to the two PC's setup and playing safe.

Regards to both

AndySD 12:14 05 Feb 05

Ok then you should be networked and able to see the pc's in network places.

If you are running a software firewall on either pc then go into its properties and set it for networking.

Derek 09:58 07 Feb 05

I've taken your advice,I've done my research, I've done my messing about and it all works.

Thank you again both.

FelixTCat 15:49 07 Feb 05

Derek,

You are very welcome. Computing is fun, isn't it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…