Networking between XP and (*

jhm 16:40 08 Jul 04

Use DSL on XP and have setup ICS to enable 98 system to use. Used the Wizard in XP and works ok, but cannot see the workgroup or share printer.
Pretty sure correct protocols in use and can ping xp to 98, but not other way
Any clues where to go from here

Charence 18:23 08 Jul 04

Make sure that both computer are configured to use the same workgroup. You'll need to make sure that both computer use the same Subnet Mask and make sure the Default gateway of the Win 98 system is configured to IP of the XP system.

To add printer, CONTROL PANEL > PRINTERS & HARDWARE > ADD PRINTER and choose NETWORK PRINTER then set it up. It will tell you to install the drivers.

Also have you tried running Network Connection Wizard on the 98 comp?

Charence

hillybilly 18:46 08 Jul 04

You canping xp to 98 but cannot ping 98 to xp, are you using the standard XP firewall,if so you must turn it off, it's okay for a stand alone pc but not much good for a network pc.

jhm 18:54 10 Jul 04

Have checked all above, but no difference. Can still ping xp-98, but not other way.
On 98 can see the workgroup and the 98 computer, but on xp I can't see anything on My Network Places and if I select 'view workgroup computers' it comes back and says not accessible

Any further??????

jhm 14:15 11 Jul 04

For future info. Installed NETBEUI and now works ok

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…