networking again

i am trying to set up home networking and am still failing.
Now i have both computers running xp. I have succesfully installed a network card on the client computer. (the host already has one)
The host computer confirms that the device is working correctly as does the client computer.
i run the network wizard on the host then on the client.
The client computer keeps telling me that my hardware is not connected but when i check the hardware profile and device manager it says this device is working properly.
What am i doing wrong?

mgmcc 11:54 31 May 06

If you are connecting the two computers directly - "Network Adapter" to "Network Adapter" - you must use a *CROSSOVER* network cable. Is this what you have used? If not, you will get the "Network Cable Unplugged" indication.

ah.
no i havent, what is a crossover cable and where would i get one. i am using just a normal ethernet cable

mgmcc 12:16 31 May 06

A crossover cable is an ethernet cable that has some of the wires crossed over so that, in basic terms, the "send" signal from one computer goes to the "receive" pin in the other computer. A normal cable would connect the "send" pins in both computers together and the "receive" pins together, so they cannot communicate.

A "crossover" cable is used to connect two computers directly.

A "straight-wired" cable is used to connect a computer to a Network Hub, Network Switch or Router.

You can pick up a crossover cable from any computer shop or Currys, Dixons, PC World and even B & Q!

Devil Fish 12:18 31 May 06

you can pick up a crossover cable from your local pc world or maplin store

Legolas 12:18 31 May 06

Maplins click here or ebuyer click here for crossover cables

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…