networking advice, please

gizzyx 18:54 10 Nov 04

a pal has a desktop and a laptop, both running win2000 pro. i tried to set up a network, with just a crossover cable for sharing files, printer etc. however, his laptop is also set up for connecting up to a network at his place of work. as i understand (as a network novice!)each system has to know the other units "computer name", and be part of the same "Workgroup". however, his laptop has no workgroup, it has been set up as part of a domain. is it at all possible to set up a completely separate network for his home setup possibly by logging in as a different user,perhaps or any other way.or will he still have his domain as part of his system properties?

howard60 20:25 10 Nov 04

another user should work if you you take the tick out of all users of this pc etc.

Gaz 25 11:41 11 Nov 04

I don't think without special software, you can do this I'm afraid.

You would have to change it manually.

Either that, or you could create two accounts and try applying to THAT USER ACCOUNT only, and not to the whole computer.

gizzyx 13:25 11 Nov 04

thanx gaz 25 anyway, but i think i'll leave till i learn a bit more about it. (i'm just starting a mcsa course. don't want to run before i can walk!!! thanx any way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…