Networking

Sharpamatt 08:21 27 Mar 03

Can anyone suggest to a simple novice how to connect two PC's to run together, these are in different rooms and different specs

rct 08:27 27 Mar 03

Please post the specs and the Operating systems of each computer together with Parallel/Serial/USB/Networking sockets on the back of each machine.

Sharpamatt 08:35 27 Mar 03

1x 233 useing XP Pro
1x 2.65 " XP Home
both have paralleral,serial, and usb ports

Daniel-242372 10:58 27 Mar 03

Ideas for you to consider

1) Buy a router and 2 twisted cables, if you have broadband you will need an extra twisted cable.

Twisted cables are other known as Category 5 cable, they are sold in places such as PC World

Make sure the router is then connected to both machine and the broadband goes to the router as well. Then point Both machines to it

2) Use one machine to act as a server and buy 1 Twisted cable, connect them together and point the second comp to the server.

May need software to do this. depending on operating system

Aspman 11:35 27 Mar 03

You don't need a router to connect 2 machines together unless you want them to share an internet connection.

Put a 10/100 PCI network card into each machine and you should be able to connect them directly using a Cat5 Crossover cable.

If that isn't convenient you can put a cheap hub (make sure it is 100Mbit compatable) in the middle and connect each machine with a Cat5 straight through cable.

You should know if these are working when the lights on the PCI cards (and hub if applic.) are lit. XP has networking wizards built in so you should just have to follow the guides.

A more expensive alternative without cables would be to use some of the new wireless kit that would save drilling holes etc but is not cheap yet.

roversfan 11:58 27 Mar 03

Try click here I used this site when networking my two computers on the advice of somebody here.

I used crossover/twisted cable between the two computers (no router) total cost including NIC's about 20 quid.

Use ICS for internet connection sharing, but then I have Win98SE - no idea about WinXP sorry.

If money no object lots of options. as mentioned above.

The site I have mentioned has lots of info just follow the links to get some idea of work involved with various options.

Good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…