Networking

hendog 13:54 11 Feb 03

please can anyone explain for the simpleton the requirements to connect two PC's to each other and the internet. My PC's each have ethernet cards,the one(running XP)uses the input to the card for my NTL broadband connection. The other (running Win98 SE) is free. I am confused between routers and hubs.To what do I connect the incoming internet cable?

Lozzy 14:00 11 Feb 03

Obtain another 10/100 ethernet card plus a Xover RJ45 cable then in XP click on Network then Create and follow the on screen wizard. very easy..

Also have a look at this click here there is no need for Hubs or routers unless you are networking 2 or more PC's

Lozzy 14:00 11 Feb 03

Obtain another 10/100 ethernet card plus a Xover RJ45 cable then in XP click on Network then Create and follow the on screen wizard. very easy..

Also have a look at this click here there is no need for Hubs or routers unless you are networking 2 or more PC's

kiteman 14:06 11 Feb 03

Both of these sites have clear "basic setup" and "troubleshooting" howtos.

click here

click here

The PC Doctor 14:28 11 Feb 03

There are a couple of ways you can go.

1. Plug your cable modem into a USB port and use a crossover RJ45 cable between the network cards. You will have to enable Internet connection sharing on the PC with the Cable Modem. This PC will have to be on for the other to connect to the Internet.

2. Buy another Network card and plug your cable modem/RJ45 cable into that.

3. Buy a hub and plug both your PC's and Cable modem into it. A hub just acts as a 'switch box' to connect all your pc's/modems together.

4. Buy a Router. Plug your Cable modem into the 'in' socket and your PC's into the 'out' sockets and away you go.

OK now for the why's and wherefore's.....

I used to run option 1. but I used thin Co-Ax cable. This worked fine as I have 3PC's and a Laptop networked. The downside was that I had to keep my main PC up and running, not a problem as I run UD(click here for info on UD). As I wanted more security and control over my network I decided to go down the Router route. I picked a Router as they normally come with built in firewalls and the ability to 'route' specific ports to specific PC's.

As I also run a FTP Server and Mail Server on my PC's this was the best option for me.

As to prices - Network cards are about £10

Routers are about £50 +

I use the D-Link DI604 router and it works fine for me.

If you want more info on networks you can click here and look at how I set things up.

Feel free to contact me for further help if you want.

hendog 10:53 12 Feb 03

Many thanks to all for the very useful help. Problem solved.

hendog.

hendog 10:54 12 Feb 03

Many thanks to all for the very useful help. Problem solved.

hendog.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…