networking

alsmith 14:38 28 Aug 06

trying to network a laptop (wireless) and a pc (ethernet) to share files. both are fine on internet via router but when I try to set up file sharing, problems start, laptop can't see pc (my network places) , pc tells me workgroup is not accessible as i have no permission to use network source and list of servers for workgroup is not currently available? changing network settings on laptop causes limited or no conectivity on laptop. both firewalls are off,is there a step by step guide available on line?

FelixTCat 14:44 28 Aug 06

alsmith,

Make sure that both pcs have the same workgroup name but different pc names.

If you use passwords to log on then you will have to set up accounts on each pc for the other, since they will have to "log on" to each other.

Regards,

Felix

alsmith 14:59 28 Aug 06

Felix, same w/group name, diff pc name, no passwords, laptop has other users but not pasworded.

mgmcc 15:49 28 Aug 06

The most common reason for networked PCs not communicating is a firewall. Disabling a firewall doesn't always shut it down completely and background processes can still be running. Any firewall software should be left running but be properly configured to allow access to Local Area Network traffic.

Ikelos 15:59 28 Aug 06

go to start, run, type in cmd, and get the IP address on each PC, then add them to the firewall settings,

Ikelos 16:01 28 Aug 06

left a bit out, after the CMD bit, type in IPCONFIG at the prompt..

alsmith 16:26 28 Aug 06

getting there, pc can now see laptop, although it requests a password to open. laptop doesn't see pc but progress anyway. is password same as router wep ? doesn't seem to work. no other passwords set up (i think)

FelixTCat 16:29 28 Aug 06

alsmith,

Can you just hit Enter when it asks for a password?

Regards,

Felix

alsmith 16:34 28 Aug 06

felix, no just refreshes to connect to box, which has user name as my laptop name and password box below

Al

FelixTCat 16:40 28 Aug 06

alsmith,

Try setting up an account on the laptop with your desktop's user name and then try again. If that doesn't wok, give that account a password (e.g.alsmith) and try again.

Regards,

Felix

alsmith 17:01 28 Aug 06

cheers felix, I had not enabled sharing on my laptop! (too many system restores earlier in the day) can now see laptop files. i assume i can just drag and drop from my pc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac