networking 2 PCs

Elwell 15:34 07 Mar 05

I should be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for information on networking 2 PCs and the hardware I would need. The machines already share a wireless broadband connection but as for networking I know nothing. I don't think we have any necessary hardware at present except that 1 machine has a Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC (whatever that means).
Many thanks and you will have gathered I need to be pointed in the direction of instructions for dummies.

Trackrat 15:37 07 Mar 05

Have a look at this.

click here

Elwell 17:01 07 Mar 05

Thanks. Excellent site - I think I even understand it.

Thanks again.

TomJerry 17:05 07 Mar 05

if you have this already, you do not need anything else

how do they share?

Elwell 18:06 07 Mar 05

Tom & Jerry
I have a Speedtouch wireless router connected to 1 machine and telephone line - the other machine has a wirelss usb adaptor connecting to the router..... now I'm lost. How can this help me with networking?

TomJerry 19:59 07 Mar 05

you just set permission for each other

Jeffers22 20:34 07 Mar 05

Take a look at the Understanding Network Configuration and Configure Win2000/XP pages on the site you've looked at.

You will need to ensure the appropriate networking protocols are installed - as you are sharing an internet connection via a router you already have TCP/ip installed therefore so far so good. (you will not need netbui)

You will also need to enable some degree of file sharing so that each machine has access to files/folders on the other machine. Therefore you will need to ensure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is enabled. You will then need to share specific folders or partitions/drives.

Elwell 11:41 08 Mar 05

Thanks to all for help and advice. I've spoken to Speedtouch about networking the pc's and they told me not to buy anything as I've got all I need as you said. I'll go back to that website and checkout XP and try and get on with it. If I'm stuck I'll be back.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…